Recipe courtesy of Gustare Olive Oils & Vinegars
- 1 bottle (200ml) Gustare Herbs di Napoli balsamic vinegar
- 8 small tomatoes, stemmed, approximately 1½-2 pounds
- 1 pint of small buffalo mozzarella balls, sliced ¼-inch thick
- Your favorite Gustare extra virgin olive oil varietal
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Small bunch of fresh basil, leaves separated
Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and simmer for 6-8 minutes to reduce and thicken, swirling occasionally. Add to a small pitcher or squeeze bottle. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Place each tomato on a cutting board, stem side down. Using a paring knife, cut three evenly spaced slices crosswise without cutting all the way through. Set aside.
Cut each mozzarella ball into slices, approximately ¼-inch thick. Insert a mozzarella ball and a basil leaf in each tomato slit and place on a serving platter. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic reduction, salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy!
- As an appetizer
- As a side to grilled fish or chicken
- In lieu of a green salad for a change of pace