Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
Yields: 1 cup
Dietary Specifications: vegan, gluten free
- 2 eggplants, approximately 2 pounds
- 4 tbsp. plain unsweetened cashew yogurt
- 2 tbsp. Gustare Milanese Gremolata Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for roasting and finishing
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp. cumin, plus more for roasting
- ½ tsp. 1830 Sea Salt, plus more to sprinkle
- Optional: za’atar spice for finishing
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush sheet tray with Milanese Gremolata olive oil and set aside.
- Halve eggplant lengthwise and score skin several times. Sprinkle flesh with 1830 Sea Salt and allow to sweat 10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Drizzle both sides of eggplant with Milanese Gremolata olive oil and rub evenly over the entire surface. Sprinkle both sides of eggplant generously with cumin.
- Bake eggplant, flesh side down, on prepared sheet tray for 45-60 minutes, or until eggplant is tender, shriveled and charred on both sides. Allow to cool until comfortable to handle.
- Scoop flesh into strainer and drain excess water for approximately 3 minutes.
- Combine drained eggplant and remaining ingredients in food processor.
- Pulse to blend and chop ingredients, maintaining some chunks and body to create a consistency that is truly pleasing to the palate.
- Finish with a drizzle of Milanese Gremolata olive oil and top with za’atar spice. Serve with fresh vegetables, crackers or pita bread. This is healthy party food. Dig in!