Recipe courtesy of Gustare Olive Oils & Vinegars
Roasted Eggplant Dip
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45-60 minutes
SERVES/YIELD: 1 cup
- 2 eggplants, approximately 2 pounds
- 4 tbsp. plain unsweetened cashew yogurt
- 2 tbsp. Gustare Milanese Gremolata Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for roasting and finishing
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp. cumin, plus more for roasting
- ½ tsp. 1830 Sea Salt, plus more to sprinkle
- Optional: za'atar spice for finishing
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush sheet tray with Milanese Gremolata olive oil and set aside.
Halve eggplant lengthwise and score skin several times. Sprinkle flesh with 1830 Sea Salt and allow to sweat 10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
Drizzle both sides of eggplant with Milanese Gremolata olive oil and rub evenly over the entire surface. Sprinkle both sides of eggplant generously with cumin.
Bake eggplant, flesh side down, on prepared sheet tray for 45-60 minutes, or until eggplant is tender, shriveled and charred on both sides. Allow to cool until comfortable to handle.
Scoop flesh into strainer and drain excess water for approximately 3 minutes.
Combine drained eggplant and remaining ingredients in food processor.
Pulse to blend and chop ingredients, maintaining some chunks and body to create a consistency that is truly pleasing to the palate.
Finish with a drizzle of Milanese Gremolata olive oil and top with za’atar spice. Serve with fresh vegetables, crackers or pita bread. This is healthy party food. Dig in!