Pesce al Cartoccio Col Ginepro (Adapted from “Beach House Cooking” by Charles Pierce)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25-45 minutes, based on type of fish selected
- 1 cup yellow onion, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup julienned carrots (⅛ inch x 1 inch)
- ¾ cup peeled, julienned celery (same as carrots)
- 4 tbsp. Gustare Frantoio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds monkfish, grouper, halibut or sea bass fillets (preferably no more than 1½-inch thick)
- 2 tsp. juniper berries, lightly crushed with a mallet
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Put the onion, carrots, and celery in a sauté pan with 1 tablespoon of the Frantoio olive oil and ¼ cup water. Season with salt and pepper and place the pan over medium-low heat. Cook until the onion is wilted and all the water evaporates, 10-15 minutes. Do not let the vegetables brown.
- Line a baking pan large enough to hold the fish with a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil large enough to wrap around the fish completely. When you seal the foil later, there should be enough room around the fish for the steam to circulate while it bakes. Spread half of the cooked vegetables on the foil and place the fish over the vegetables. Salt and pepper the fish. Spoon the remaining vegetables over the fish and add the juniper berries, wine, and the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Seal the pouch by folding and pinching the foil all around without leaving any openings, so the steam will not escape as it bakes.
- Put the baking dish in the oven and bake until the fish is done. Delicate, thin fillets, such as halibut, will cook in about 20 minutes. Thicker fillets, such as grouper may take about 30 minutes and monkfish will need close to 40 minutes. To check the fish, carefully open the pouch just enough to slide a fork in. If the fish flakes, it is done. If not, reseal the pouch and bake for another 5 minutes. When it is done, gently open the foil, keeping the pouch away from your face, as the steam inside will be very hot. Taking care not to spill the juices, lift the pouch out of the baking pan and slide the fish, vegetables and juices onto a serving dish. Serve at once. Enjoy!