Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Set Time: 6 hours-overnight
Serves: 6 half-cup portions
Panna Cotta Ingredients
- 1 cup whole milk or light cream, divided
- 2½ tsp. unflavored powdered gelatin
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ tsp. pure vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla bean (split and scraped, but including pod)
Balsamic Reduction Ingredients
- 1 cup Gustare Wild Blueberry Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- Fresh berries, mint leaves or chopped almonds, optional, for garnish
Directions for Panna Cotta:
- Bloom gelatin in a half cup of milk or light cream. Be certain gelatin is completely covered with liquid.
- Place buttermilk in 1-quart measuring pitcher or bowl, set beneath a fine mesh strainer or chinois. Set aside.
- Heat remaining half cup of heavy cream with sugar and vanilla to just a slight boil. Quickly remove from heat.
- Pour hot cream over bloomed gelatin and whisk vigorously to dissolve. If necessary, return to heat briefly and stir until gelatin has melted completely.
- Temper approximately ⅓-½ of the buttermilk into hot cream, and then strain entire mixture over remaining buttermilk. Stir to combine and to ensure even distribution of gelatin. Mixture should be cool but not set.
- Use pitcher to dispense panna cotta into dishes. Allow to set in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Finish with balsamic reduction and garnishes (below).
For Balsamic Reduction:
- Bring balsamic, brown sugar, extract, and pepper to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, approximately 8 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Balsamic should resemble a thick syrup.
- Drizzle or spoon over panna cotta. Garnish with berries, fresh mint leaves, or sprinkle with almonds. Enjoy!
Note: Try our reduction sauce with Black Cherry, Strawberry, Blackberry-Ginger, or any of your favorite Gustare balsamics! It is also delicious spooned over ice cream or plain Greek Yogurt.