Recipe courtesy of Gustare Olive Oils & Vinegars
Spicy Cheddar Cheese Cornbread
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30-35 minutes
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1½ cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup Gustare Pepperoncino-Garlic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 8 ozs. sharp cheddar, grated, with 2 oz. reserved
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions, + 2 tbsp. reserved
- 2 tbsp. fresh Anaheim pepper (1 small) seeded and finely diced
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×9-inch baking pan with olive oil.
Combine the flour, cornmeal, honey, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and olive oil. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix in the grated cheddar, scallions and Anaheim peppers.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the reserved grated cheddar and reserved chopped scallions.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!