Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 3 dozen bruschetta, 2 cups caramelized onions
Ingredients for Bruschetta
- 1 baguette
- 1 large clove garlic, halved or quartered
- Your favorite Gustare extra virgin olive oil varietal, for brushing
Ingredients for Caramelized Onions
- 2 large Vidalia onions, halved and sliced as thinly as possible
- ¼ cup your favorite Gustare extra virgin olive oil varietal
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. plus ⅛ tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ cup Gustare 18-Year Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut baguette on a diagonal into half-inch slices.
- Rub garlic clove (using cut edge) on both sides of each bread slice.
- Brush one side of each slice with olive oil.
- Place bread slices, oil side down, in single layer on sheet tray.
- Toast on top rack in 450 degree oven, 5-6 minutes, until crisp and golden.
For caramelized onions:
- Heat sauté pan over medium heat.
- Toss onions with olive oil, salt and pepper to coat.
- Add onions to hot pan. Cook over medium heat and agitate, or toss with tongs, to rotate onions and prevent burning. Cook and stir 25-30 minutes, until onions begin to soften.
- Combine 18-Year Traditional balsamic and brown sugar in separate bowl and stir to mix well. Add to onions and toss to coat.
- Continue to simmer over medium heat. Cook and stir an additional 10-15 minutes, until thickened and well-caramelized.
- Remove from heat and add fresh thyme leaves. Stir to combine. Enjoy!
- Onions make a great topping for pizza and focaccia.
- Add caramelized onions to grilled meats or tofu, filet or veggie and black bean burgers.
- Delicious addition to a sandwich…roasted portobello, red pepper, and gouda, perhaps?