Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 cup
- 4 tbsp. your favorite Gustare extra virgin olive oil varietal, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup packed)
- 1 large red pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. (+/- to taste) Gustare Harissa Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a heavy bottomed skillet (cast iron if available) heat 2 tablespoons of your favorite varietal extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and season with salt. Sweat the onions gently until they slowly become caramelized. This will take about 20 minutes with constant stirring. The goal is to slowly bring out the sweet, complex flavor of golden, caramelized onions without actually charring them. Charring them will create bitterness.
- During the last five minutes of cooking, add the chopped peppers, ground black pepper, and continue stirring.
- Add the pepper-onion mixture to the bowl of a food processor along with 1 tablespoon of Harissa olive oil and, if desired, 2 remaining tablespoons of the varietal olive oil varietal. Process to desired consistency; less for chunky or more for a smooth paste. Adjust for seasoning. Spoon into a jar and allow to cool. Enjoy!
Serving suggestion: With vegetable crudités, crackers, pork, chicken, sausages, as a replacement for Sriracha, or ketchup, with fries, over eggs, with roasted potatoes – essentially, with everything! Can be stored in a sealed jar, chilled, for up to a week.