Recipe courtesy of Gustare Olive Oils & Vinegars
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
- 2 pink grapefruit, sectioned
- 3 oranges, or navel oranges, sectioned
- ¼ cup Victoria Gourmet Shallots (or 1 small shallot, minced)
- 2 tbsp. Gustare Whole Fruit Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Gustare Honeybell Orange Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Orange Blossom Sicilian Honey
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, cut in chiffonade
- pinch of sea salt, pinch of black pepper, freshly ground
Combine shallots, honey, Whole Fruit Lemon olive oil, Honeybell Orange balsamic, herbs, and seasoning in a non-reactive bowl and set aside for 15-20 minutes to plump the shallots. Add the fruit segments and toss to evenly coat. Let set at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
To section your citrus fruit, use a sharp, thin knife to first cut a small slice from the bottom of each grapefruit and orange through the rind and outer membrane to reveal the flesh. This will enable the fruit to sit squarely on your cutting board for the next step. Beginning at the top of the grapefruit or orange, follow the contour of the fruit and slice toward the bottom cutting off all the rind. The sections are now visible. Holding the fruit securely in one hand (over a bowl, since this is a juicy task!), insert your knife between the membrane and flesh angling toward the core to remove each segment, otherwise known as “supreme.” Continue until all the beautiful, segments have been removed and are ready to be enjoyed!
Try over a salad of fresh arugula and sliced avocado, or as a topping for grilled fish or cooked/cooled quinoa for bright, citrus flavor.