Recipe courtesy of Gustare Olive Oils & Vinegars
Lentil and Feta Salad
PREP TIME: 20min
SERVES/YIELD: 4-6 entrée, 8-10 side
Hearty, crunchy, citrusy and herbaceous, with just a little touch of Sicilian Lemon sweet and a whole lot of flavor: introducing our lentil and feta salad. Served over a bed of baby spinach, this salad is an excellent source of protein, fiber, and iron; a perfectly satisfying and nourishing vegetarian entrée. It is a crowd pleaser as well, so it’s a perfect addition to your summer barbecue, and with flavors that require an overnight soak to blend beautifully, you won’t have to scramble to prepare it at the last minute.
Inactive Time: 30-35 minutes, plus overnight
- 3C raw lentils, cooked, or 7 cups canned lentils, drained
- 2C green pepper, cut into ¾ inch strips
- 2¼C grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1C red onion, chopped
- ¾C your Favorite Gustare Extra-Virgin Varietal Olive Oil
- 6 Tbls Gustare Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- Juice of 3 lemons, freshly squeezed
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 Tbls plus 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 Tbls dried dill
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp plus 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1lb feta cheese, cut into small cubes
Combine cooked lentils, green pepper, tomatoes, and onion in medium bowl. Set aside.
Whisk olive oil, balsamic, lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings in separate bowl. Pour over lentil and vegetable mixture and stir to coat.
Add feta and toss to incorporate.
Refrigerate several hours or overnight to allow flavors to mature.
To cook lentils, first place them in saucepan, well covered with salted water. Cover and bring to boil. Stir. Reduce heat, keep covered, and simmer approximately 30-35 minutes, or until desired doneness, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Lentils should be tender, but firm and maintain their shape. Strain water and allow lentils to cool to room temperature before use.