Prep Time: 45 minutes
Inactive Time: 2½ hours
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 3½ hours
Yield: 36 cookie bars
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup plus 3½ tbsp. Gustare Persian Lime Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for brushing
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 limes
- Sliced almonds, as needed
- 8 ozs. dried apricots
- ¼ cup Gustare Apricot Balsamic, plus more for brushing
- 3 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
For the Crust:
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk together Persian Lime olive oil, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add zest and stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients gradually and mix only until just combined. Dough will be soft and sticky.
- Pat dough into a flat disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and chill for 2 hours.
For the Filling:
- Process apricots in food processor until finely chopped, approximately 30 seconds.
- Combine apricots, Apricot balsamic, juice, and honey in small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until apricots are plumped and liquid is absorbed, 2-3 minutes.
- Process once more to create a paste, approximately 1 minute.
- Cool completely.
- Brush sheet tray with Persian Lime olive oil. Set aside.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions, 6-6½ ozs. each. Work with 1 portion of dough at time, shaping it into a log 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. Chill remaining portions until ready for use.
- Roll dough on well-floured surface, short edge nearest to you, into a 12-inch by 4-inch rectangle. Square edges using bench scraper or metal spatula.
- Divide filling into 3 equal portions. Pipe ⅓ of the filling down the center of the dough, approximately 1-inch wide.
- Use bench scraper to fold each side of the dough over the filling. They should join at the center of the long line of filling. Pinch dough slightly to seal and cover filling completely.
- Cut filled newton in half crosswise. Flip and transfer onto prepared baking sheet. Seal edges as needed.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling. You will have 6 filled logs once finished.
- Chill logs 30 minutes to 1 hour prior to baking.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brush newtons with Apricot balsamic and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake for 15 minutes at 325 degrees, or until slightly golden on edges and bottom of crust.
- Cool completely. Cut each log into 6 pieces.
Note: These fruit newtons actually get softer and chewier the next day! They keep beautifully in an airtight container for a week.