Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1½ cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup Gustare Peperoncino Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 8 ozs. sharp cheddar, grated, with 2 oz. reserved
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions, + 2 tbsp. reserved
- 2 tbsp. fresh Anaheim pepper (1 small) seeded and finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×9-inch baking pan with olive oil.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, honey, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and olive oil. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix in the grated cheddar, scallions and Anaheim peppers.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the reserved grated cheddar and reserved chopped scallions.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!