(Adapted from “Beach House Cooking: Good Food for the Great Outdoors” by Charles Pierce)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Yield: ½ cup dressing
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. Gustare Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup Gustare Coratina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 12 oil-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- 8 cups loosely packed spring greens
- To make the dressing, in a salad bowl, whisk together the mustard, salt, pepper, Sicilian Lemon balsamic, and orange juice until the salt dissolves. Slowly add the Coratina olive oil, whisking constantly until thickened and emulsified. Add just enough to make the dressing shiny.
- To make the salad, cut a slice off the top and bottom of each orange to expose the flesh. Place upright on a cutting board and thickly slice off the peel in strips, cutting around the orange to expose the flesh. Cut along both sides of each section to free the sections from the membranes.
- Add the onion to the salad bowl and toss to separate and to coat with the dressing. Add the orange sections and the olives and toss again. Pile the lettuce greens on top. Toss the salad one more time just before serving. Enjoy!