The distinctive filling for these ever so slightly sweet, nutty and savory apples is so enticing that I had to double the recipe in order to ensure that I could over-stuff them with rich deliciousness. Drizzle with our Herbs di Napoli balsamic reduction for a pleasantly surprising twist that will keep your taste buds guessing. This is a great addition to a cheese plate. Or, use with miniature apples to create a simple yet elegant appetizer for your next dinner party.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Dietary Specifications: vegetarian, gluten free
⅔ cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
½ cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. orange zest
½ tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. 1830 Sea Salt
6 Gala apples, cored
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Brush 11″ x 7″ baking pan with Gustare Blood Orange olive oil and set aside.
- Toast hazelnuts at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Chop when cool enough to handle.
- Combine gorgonzola, chopped nuts and seasonings. Add Gustare Blood Orange olive oil and stir.
- Stuff mixture into cored apples. Be sure to press filling very tightly into the cores and allow the “overflow” to create a crown over the top of each apple.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until apples are fork tender, but not mushy.
- Prepare reduction while apples are baking. Bring Gustare Herbs di Napoli balsamic vinegar to boil over high heat. Lower heat to simmer and cook for approximately 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until balsamic is reduced to 1/3 cup.
- Drizzle glaze over warm apples and enjoy!