Pancakes are such a great way to start the day – until about 15 minutes later when they settle like a rock in the pit of your stomach and all you want to do is curl up and take a nap. Unlike those coma-inducing, sugar and carb-laden pancakes of old, these pancakes are lightly sweetened with banana, a touch of agave and packed with lean protein and heart-healthy grains and fats that will keep hunger pangs at bay, absolutely satisfy your tastebuds and truly power you through your day. Go get ’em!
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes (includes soak time)
Cook Time: 10-12minutes
Yield: 10-12 pancakes
Dietary Specifications: dairy free, gluten free
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
¾ cup gluten-free oats
1¼ cup almond flour
½ tblsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. 1830 Sea Salt
1 small or ½ large ripe banana, mashed
¼ cup egg whites
1 tblsp. agave
6 tblsp. almond butter
- Soak oats in almond milk for 5 minutes. Prepare remaining ingredients during soak.
- Combine almond flour, baking powder and 1830 Sea Salt. Set aside.
- Mash banana. Stir together with egg whites, mixing well to combine. Add Gustare Sweet Butter olive oil and agave to banana mixture and stir.
- Stir wet ingredients into soaked oats.
- Add dry ingredients and stir to just combine. Allow to sit 10-15 minutes.
- Combine almond butter and Gustare Bourbon Maple balsamic vinegar. Mix well to form a smooth spread.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (to keep pancakes warm while you continue to cook the rest of the batch).
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon Gustare Sweet Butter olive oil to cook pancakes, replenishing as needed throughout cooking. When ready to cook pancakes, lower heat to the setting halfway between low and medium.
- Drop ¼ cup pancake batter onto heated skillet. Cook approximately 6 minutes on first side. Flip gently and continue cooking several minutes, until golden brown. Keep warm in heated oven. Repeat cooking process with remaining batter.
- To serve, spread almond-bourbon “butter” generously over warmed pancakes, then drizzle with Bourbon Maple Balsamic Glaze (see recipe online). Enjoy!