(Adapted from “Giada’s Kitchen: New Italian Favorites” by Giada de Laurentiis)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp. Gustare Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp. whole milk
- ¾ cup Gustare Whole Fruit Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ⅔ cup sliced almonds, toasted (see note)
- Confectioner’s sugar, for sifting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Use an electric mixer to beat the granulated sugar, eggs, and zests in a large bowl until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the balsamic and milk, then gradually beat in the oil. Add the flour mixture and stir by hand just until blended. Crush the almonds with your hands as you add them to the batter and stir until mixed.
- Fill the muffin tin almost to the top of the paper liners. Bake until golden on top and a tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out with moist crumbs attached, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and “cook” the muffins in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn the muffins out onto the rack and cool for 5 more minutes.
- Sift confectioner’s sugar over the muffins and serve. Enjoy!
Note: To toast the almonds, spread them on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven 6-8 minutes, stirring once or twice. Watch carefully to keep them from burning.