First of all, do NOT let a seemingly long list of ingredients scare you. Most of these are just seasonings that simply need to be mixed together in one bowl, and believe me, you will love the results. This actually tastes like meatloaf-even without the meat. I first prepared this recipe as a vegan and gluten-free entree for a family gathering, and even the meat eaters eagerly dug in and emerged with smiles and praise. This is a fantastic, hearty family meal filled with protein, fiber, iron, whole grains and incredible flavor.
Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 30-40 min
Dietary Specifications: Vegan, Gluten Free
½ C brown lentils
1/3 C uncooked quinoa, rinsed (I used tri-color)
1 bay leaf
2 ¼ C water
1 C chopped onion
4 large cloves garlic, pressed
1 diced jalapeño, seeds discarded
½ C chopped celery
½ C grated carrots
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried oregano
2 Tbls ground flaxseed
1 Tbls worcestershire sauce (I used a vegan version)
3 Tbls ketchup, no sugar added
2 Tbls tamari OR soy sauce
2 Tbls tahini
¼ C nutritional yeast OR parmesan cheese
½ tsp fennel seed
¼c plus 2T ketchup, no sugar added
3t pure maple syrup
3t worcestershire sauce (I used a vegan version)
- Combine lentils, bay leaf, and water in saucepan. Cover and bring to boil. Lower heat immediately, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add rinsed quinoa. Cover and cook another 15 minutes, or until lentils and quinoa are very tender (for easy mashing), stirring once after 10 minutes to prevent sticking. Drain water and discard bay leaf. Transfer lentils and quinoa to mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat Gustare Pepperoncino Garlic Olive Oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, thyme, and oregano to skillet. Stir well and cook another 5-7 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Add cooked vegetables and flaxseed meal to lentils and quinoa. Mash the mixture using a potato masher, allowing about half of the lentils to remain whole.
- Add all remaining ingredients, including Appel Foods Spicy Nut Crumbs, and mix well to combine.
- Whisk together glaze ingredients in separate bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 8″x4″ loaf pan with Gustare Pepperoncino Garlic Olive Oil.
- Press lentil quinoa mixture tightly and evenly into loaf pan. Spread glaze over top of loaf.
- Cover loaf with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake, uncovered for 10 minutes. Allow to rest for several minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!