Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Makes: 2 dozen cupcakes
Ingredients for the cupcakes
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
1 cup Guinness (after the foam subsides)
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
Ingredients for ganache filling
8 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
⅔ cup light cream
2 tbsp. butter, at room temp
2 tsp. Irish Whiskey
Ingredients for icing
3 cups confectionary sugar plus more on hand, if needed
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
6-8 tbsp. Baileys Irish Cream
Directions for cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350°, line cupcake tins with green cupcake papers and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, salt, and whisk to combine.
- In large bowl (for a hand mixer) or your stand mixer bowl, fitted with paddle attachment, add Guinness, Sweet Butter olive oil, sugar, eggs, sour cream and mix until combined and smooth.
- Slowly add dry ingredients until blended.
- Fill prepared muffin tins ¾ full with batter. Bake cupcakes 20-30 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Meanwhile, make the ganache.
Directions for ganache
- Add chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, bring cream to a simmer, then pour over chocolate. Let it sit for a minute or so and then whisk until smooth. Add butter and whiskey, stir until smooth and set aside to cool. It will become thicker as it cools.
- Cut a small circle in the center of cooled cupcakes without cutting through, about 2/3 of the way. Fill each center with ganache using a small spool or in a piping bag with tip.
Directions for icing
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a medium bowl using a hand mixer) beat butter until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add sugar a little at a time to combine well. Slowly add Baileys, up to 6-7 tablespoons until smooth. If the icing is thick enough to spread or pipe, you may not need remaining tablespoon. Frost filled cupcakes. Enjoy!