Yield: 1½ cup
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Set a mesh strainer over a deep bowl. Line the strainer with 3 layers of dampened cheesecloth.
- In a large enameled pot or heavy bottomed stainless steel pot, pour in the milk. Stir in the salt. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a full boil, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Let the mixture sit for 2 minutes. You will immediately see the separation of curds (solids) and whey (liquid).
- Pour the mixture into the lined strainer and let it drain for 15-20 minutes. Discard the liquid in the bowl from time to time. Less draining time results in moister ricotta; more time results in a firmer ricotta.
- Use as-is in dishes like manicotti
- Add 1 tbsp. of finely chopped chives, 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Spread on toasted ciabatta with a drizzle of Gustare Basil Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Cannoli filling!
- Take a scoop of ricotta, drizzle with your favorite Gustare balsamic vinegar and serve with sliced pears