Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 60 minutes
Yields: 9-inch cake
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 13 ozs. 70% high quality bittersweet chocolate (such as Guittard), finely chopped
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp. Gustare Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for brushing
- Zest of an orange
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp. Gustare Espresso Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 9-inch springform pan or tart pan with removable bottom using parchment, and brush with Blood Orange olive oil. Wrap with foil to cover the base and ¾ of the way up sides of pan. Set aside.
- Whip eggs and yolks at high speed in mixer, until light yellow, fluffy, and quadrupled in volume, approximately 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine chocolate, olive oil, and zest over double boiler. Allow to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk sugar, extract, and salt into chocolate once it is melted. Heat to allow sugar to dissolve as much as possible.
- Add whipped eggs to chocolate gradually, in 4 additions, whisking vigorously, to prevent eggs from curdling. Batter should be homogenous, thick, and smooth.
- Add Tangerine balsamic and stir to incorporate.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake on sheet tray, in water bath rising ½ the height of the cake, for approximately 60 minutes, rotating tray halfway through baking.
Note: Serve dusted with powdered sugar, drizzled with hot fudge, or topped with fresh berries, whipped cream, tangerine sorbet, or vanilla bean gelato.