Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 2¾ quarts
- 3 tbsp. Gustare Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- ½ cup fresh apple cider
- 2 tbsp. Gustare Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 butternut squash, approximately 3 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes, to yield 5 cups
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, approximately 1¼ pounds, peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch cubes/span>
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1½ tbsp. curry
- 3 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ cup half & half
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Heat Blood Orange olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic to hot oil. Saute and stir until golden, approximately 11 minutes.
- Add cider, balsamic and zest. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, another 5-7 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Add squash and apples. Stir to coat.
- Add chicken stock and seasonings, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer approximately 30-35 minutes, until squash and apples are fork tender.
- Remove from heat. Use immersion blender to puree soup until very smooth.
- Return to heat, add half & half and cream, and re-warm. Enjoy!
- Vegetable stock or low-sodium broth may be substituted for chicken stock to satisfy dietary preferences.
- A conventional blender may be used to puree the soup in batches if you don’t have an immersion blender.