Sometimes I just want a little finger food. Sometimes I want it in the form of a crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the inside little nugget. What I don’t want is all the unhealthy fat and breading. Here I offer a unique alternative, using a flavorful dredging liquid featuring Gustare Japanese Toasted Sesame Oil and Jalapeño Passionfruit Balsamic Vinegar, and a “breading” of heart healthy nuts! No frying here either. These goodies are oven-baked. While I chose tofu for my nuggets to highlight the Asian influence of the recipe, this would be an excellent coating for chicken, shrimp, salmon, or tuna as well. Try it on cauliflower, avocado, sweet potato, or asparagus spears for other fun vegetarian options. Don’t forget the dipping sauces mentioned at the end of the recipe! Dipping is half the fun!
Press Time: 30 minutes or overnight
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Dietary Specifications: Vegan, Gluten-Free
15oz package extra firm tofu
3 Tbls tamari or soy sauce (if not gluten-free)
½C unsweetened flaked coconut
1½ tsp yellow curry powder
½ tsp 1830 Sea Salt
½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Cut tofu in half width-wise. Place on cutting board and top with several paper towels. Add weight and press for 30 minutes to allow extraction of liquid from tofu (I used a loaf pan filled with 5 pounds of hand weights).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush sheet tray with Gustare Japanese Toasted Sesame Oil and set aside. Prepare dredging liquid and coating.
- Stir together tamari, Gustare Japanese Toasted Sesame Oil, and Gustare Jalapeño Passionfruit Balsamic in small bowl and set aside. This is the dredging liquid.
- Combine Appel Foods Coconut Curry Nut Crumbs, coconut, and dry spices in separate small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside. This will be your nugget coating.
- Cut pressed tofu into 24 total nugget squares, 12 squares per half. They will be about 2in x 1½in x ¼in thick in size.
- Set up an assembly line with sliced tofu positioned first, followed by dredging liquid, coating, and prepared sheet tray.
- Dunk each piece of tofu in liquid, then gently shake off excess and toss in crumb mixture to coat well on all sides. Place on prepared sheet tray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Carefully flip each nugget over. Bake another 20 minutes.
- Serve with a trio of Gustare Dipping Sauces (pictured above) for even more fun with flavor: Creamy Yogurt Lime Dipping Sauce, Amazing Teriyaki Sauce, and Sweet & Spicy Pineapple Ginger Sauce!