Or, as I like to call it, the Sunshine Salad. This is a fantastic year-round salad. Sweet, refreshing, colorful, and fruity, it is a welcome addition to a warm weather gathering. I can already see it in a big bamboo bowl in the center of a checkered tablecloth-covered picnic table. Or let it shine in the winter, when citrus is at its peak, and squash those gloomy, cold weather blues. A medley of olives are the perfect savory, slightly salty counterpoint to the golden, juicy sweetness of the oranges, offering a gentle contrast to intrigue and surprise the palate. This salad is easily halved for a more intimate dinner setting.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Dressing Yield: 2/3 cup
Dietary Specifications: Vegan, Gluten-Free
2 navel oranges, cut into supremes, reserving excess juice
2 blood oranges, cut into supremes, reserving excess juice
2 mandarin oranges, sectioned
16C loosely packed spring greens
1 1/3C red onion, thinly sliced (approximately 1 large)
½C Mill Press Lemon-Stuffed Gordal Olives, each sliced into 5-6 rounds
2 tsp Jansal Valley Mustard with Herbes de Provence
1 tsp Cape Cod Sea Salt
½ tsp plus 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
2 Tbsp orange juice (I used a combination of naval & blood orange juice reserved from citrus prep)
Zest of 1 navel orange (reserved from above)
Zest of 1 blood orange (reserved from above)
Zest of 1 mandarin orange (reserved from above)
½C your favorite Gustare Varietal Extra Virgin Olive Oil (we love Picual)
- Prepare oranges first. Zest 1 navel orange, 1 blood orange, and 1 mandarin with microplane. Set zest aside.
- Make a slice on top and bottom of each orange. Stand oranges upright on cutting board. Use serrated paring knife to cut strips of rind from oranges, top to bottom, exposing flesh and the sections of the orange. Hold oranges over a bowl to reserve juice and proceed to “supreme” them by slicing along both edges of each section, toward the interior of the oranges, to release the sections from the membranes. Place citrus sections in a bowl separate from the juice. Mandarins can be manually sectioned rather than supremed.
- Combine greens, red onion,Olive Medley with Onions, Lemon-Stuffed Olives, and portioned citrus in large salad bowl.
- Prepare dressing in separate bowl. Whisk sea salt and ground pepper into mustard. Add 2 Tbsp reserved orange juice and half of the reserved zest. Whisk to combine. Add balsamic vinegar and whisk together. Slowly add your favorite Gustare Varietal Extra Virgin Olive Oil into dressing, while whisking continuously to emulsify.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over salad just before serving and toss to coat.
Make ahead: Vinaigrette can be made well in advance for added flavor development. You can also prepare oranges, and slice onions and olives ahead of time. Be sure to store them separately to maintain structural integrity. The salad can then be assembled in minutes just before serving!