Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- 5 oz. pancetta, diced
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. Gustare Herbes de Provence Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more to drizzle
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and chopped
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 7 cups clam juice (have another cup on hand, if needed)
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into half-inch dice
- 1½ pints chopped clams
- ½ pint bay scallops (if using sea scallops, cut them smaller)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- ½ -1 tsp. sea salt (add ½ at a time and correct)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, crisp the pancetta in half of the butter and half of the Herbes de Provence olive oil 5-6 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter, olive oil, onion, and celery and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add the flour and blend well, cooking until flour turns pale beige, about 2 minutes.
- Add clam juice and bring to a boil. Allow chowder to reduce and thicken for a few minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add chopped clams and scallops and simmer, about 3 minutes.
- To finish, add milk, parsley, thyme and pepper. Return to a simmer briefly.
- Check for seasoning. Ladle into bowls and add a fine drizzle of Herbes de Provence olive oil. Enjoy!