Prep Time: 20-25 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- ¼ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp. Gustare Peperoncino Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1½ tbsp. Gustare Apricot Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- ¼ tsp. ancho chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 2 cups cooked, and cooled, short grain black rice
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ mango, diced
- 1 orange, segmented
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and cut crosswise into ¾”-1” slices
- ⅓ cup toasted pepitas
- Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients together until well emulsified. Set aside.
- Combine cooled rice, onion, and cilantro in large bowl.
- Add fruit and avocado. Stir to combine.
- Pour half the vinaigrette over salad while gently tossing to coat. Reserve remaining vinaigrette to pass at the table.
- Sprinkle with pepitas to finish.
Note: Cooked rice should be firm and have a slight bite. This recipe is best with 1¾ cups water, 1 cup black rice, and a pinch of salt brought to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmered, covered, for 25 minutes (This yields 3 cups cooked rice, so you can save the extra for later). Package instructions may suggest a longer simmer, but resist the urge to overcook. Water will not be completely absorbed, so rice must be drained. To expedite cooling, spread drained rice on sheet tray. Refrigerate if desired.