Recipe courtesy of Gustare Olive Oils & Vinegars
Olive Oil & Orange Cake
PREP TIME: 45 minutes
COOKING TIME: 50-60 minutes
(Adapted from “Oils & Vinegars” by Liz Franklin)
- 1 large orange
- 1 large lemon
- 6 tablespoons Gustare Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 175g (¾ cup plus 2 tbsp.) granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 175g (¾ cup) ground almonds
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Icing/confectioners sugar to dust
- A 20 cm/8-inch loose-bottomed cake pan, lightly oiled and base-lined with non-stick parchment paper
Wash the orange and lemon and put them both in a saucepan. Cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes or so, until soft.
Remove from the water and leave to cool. Cut the orange in half, discard the pits and put the skin and pulp in a food processor. Cut the lemon in half and discard the pits and pulp.
Put the skin in the food processor with the orange. Puree and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Beat the Blood Orange olive oil, sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy. Stir in the ground almonds and baking powder.
Add the puréed fruit and stir until thoroughly mixed. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the cake is golden and risen and springs back when touched with a fingertip.
Leave to cool in the pan until completely cold. Turn out and dust with icing or confectioners sugar. Serve in slices. Enjoy!
- Serve with fresh summer berries
- Drizzle our Very Blueberry Sauce on top of the cake