Recipe courtesy of Gustare Olive Oils & Vinegars
Dave’s Espresso-Maple Beans & Sausage
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30-40 minutes
SERVES/YIELD: Serves 4-6, Yields 5½ cups
- 8 ozs. water
- 1, 12-oz. bottle beer
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage links, pierced with fork
- ½ pound hot Italian sausage links, pierced with fork
- 2½ tbsp. Gustare Harissa Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, halved crosswise and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 2½ tbsp. Gustare Bourbon-Maple Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Gustare Espresso Balsamic Vinegar
- ¾ tsp. 1830 Cape Cod Sea Salt
- 1, 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1, 15-oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1, 15-oz. can maple baked beans, undrained
- 1 tbsp. coarse Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. piccalilli relish
- ½ tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
Boil water in stock pot. Add beer and sausage. Return to boil, then lower heat to medium to prevent beer from foaming. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, rotating sausage occasionally so that both sides of links are submerged and cook evenly.
Drain sausage. Slice in half lengthwise.
Heat ½ tablespoon Harissa olive oil in sauté pan. Brown sausage halves, cut side down, over medium heat until crisp and caramelized, approximately 3-5 minutes. Set aside. Slice into half-inch wedges once cool.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons Harissa olive oil in stock pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and sea salt to hot oil. Saute over medium heat until onions soften and begin to color, approximately 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients. Stir.
Bring to boil. Stir. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Perfect in a mug on game day or as an accompaniment to eggs for a hearty breakfast on a bone-chilling morning. Or, enjoy caramelized sausage halves on a sub roll and top with beans.