Recipe courtesy of Gustare Olive Oils & Vinegars
Celery Root Purée – Sweet & Smoky
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
Yield: 2½ quarts
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1½ tbsp. Gustare Chipotle olive oil, plus more to drizzle
- 3 leeks, halved lengthwise, sliced thin, and washed very well
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- ¼ tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 med celery root (celeriac), approx. 2 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, approx. 1 pound, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
Melt butter with Chipotle olive oil in stock pot over medium heat.
Add leeks, garlic and chipotle powder. Stir to coat. Cover and sweat, stirring occasionally until soft, approximately 10 minutes.
Add celery root and potato, stir to coat, cover and cook 5 minutes.
Add chicken stock and seasoning. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low. Leave lid slightly askew and simmer approximately 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork.
Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Return to heat to re-warm if necessary.
Serve with a drizzle of Chipotle olive oil and a sprinkling of freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Vegetable stock or low-sodium broth may be substituted for chicken stock to satisfy dietary preferences.
Soup may be pureed in several batches using a traditional blender if you do not possess an immersion blender.